Advantages of a covered loafing area versus uncovered?
In terms of animal health, a SmartShelters covered loafing area offers the following benefits over a traditional uncovered area:
- Improved animal welfare, with better conditions and comfort through the winter
- Improved herd health
- Cleaner udders
- A reduction in cases of mastitis
- A reduction (or elimination) of respiratory problems (thanks to SmartShelters’ industry leading airflow)
But the perks of a SmartShelters covered loafing area don’t end with the animals. A SmartShelters construction will also offer the following environmental benefits:
- Heavily reduced nutrient leaching in the wet months
- Total effluent capture in a fully contained system
- The elimination of pugging and leaching by taking the herd off the pasture
- A reduced overall environmental impact
How do these advantages play out in a business sense? The animal and environmental benefits will increase your bottom line in the following ways:
- An increase in milk production from healthier animals
- A reduction in feed costs from lower energy expenditure (up to 50%)
- A reduction in loafing area management costs
- A reduction (or elimination) of your reliance on expensive off-farm grazing
- More efficient pasture growth
- Winter milking is made viable
What is the production increase from wintering cows?
The major increase in production is in cases where winter milking is made viable. If you can milk your herd at a time when you previously hadn’t, the benefits of wintering your herd in a sheltered space become obvious.
But even if you already milk in winter, or you have no plan to do so even with a wintering/loafing shelter, the cost savings that a SmartShelter construction can offer are compelling. Dramatically reduced feed expenditure, pasture growth and efficient herd management can see the cost of the shelter quickly paid back through savings alone.
Boasting a team backed by 100 years of experience, and working with the finest materials available, SmartShelters are able to rapidly design and construct covered stand off pads of the highest quality, enabling you to work smarter, sooner.
Contact a member of our experienced team today to discuss a truly smart shelter solution for your property.